1938 taken approximately from present day shops looking towards the Old Crown Inn on far left.
Moor Street, renamed Woodgate Lane around 1912. Another hamlet with a cross road. Lye Close Lane led down to Manor Way and eventually into Halesowen. Watery Lane ran down to Hole Farm and continued across to Quinton. Moor Street itself formed part of the turnpike road that led to Northfield via Woodgate and onwards via Carters Lane.
Hole Farm, originally forming part of the Broadhidley estate, is described as an ancient farm in a document of 1795. It is still in existence and is now a Riding Stable.
Along Moor Street was The Poulterers Arms situated where the present day car park is on the Woodgate estate. The other 'local' is the Old Crown Inn.
The house occupied by Bearwood Coaches was originally a Dairy, then taken over by a company known as Metalock and finally used as a Company House owned by AP Pressings before being sold.
The Post Office was adjacent to 2 cottages close to the present day Tyndall Walk.
There was a large shop on this stretch of road known as Moore's shop. This was more towards Woodgate but is included here for ease of reference.
1910 looking across to Post Office
(side road possibly area of Tyndall Walk)
1904 Post Office
1938 taken approximately opposite Tyndall Walk looking towards Woodgate
|1904 & 1910 Harold Hall originals|
|1938 - owner unknown|
|Back to Top|
|If you have any old photos we would be pleased to add them to our collection.|
|We aim to scan and return originals within a day or two.|